This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving Cambridge Based SME on a 12 month fixed-term contract as a talented Scientist or Senior Scientist to join its rapidly growing scientific team.
The appointee will play a key role in the company’s development, contributing to a variety of exciting experiments and, in particular, will have key responsibilities within the company’s in vitro platform. This is a lab-based role where the appointee will be responsible for performing a wide range of drug discovery related experiments, such as high-throughput small molecules screening, kinetics-based protein aggregation assays, and a range of biochemical and biophysical assays for characterising proteins, lipids, small molecules and the interactions between them.
The appointee will conduct drug discovery research projects, together with other members of the team, and will contribute to the development and application of new methodologies. The successful candidate will have a desire to play a role in discovering new treatments for debilitating diseases, whilst working in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Perform protein aggregation assays, including but not limited to, fluorescence-based assays
- Design, implement and optimise protocols for studying the effect of inhibitors on protein aggregation and determine their mechanism of action
- Perform kinetics-based experiments and their theoretical analysis
- Design and perform biochemical and biophysical assays to study protein-protein, protein-lipids, and protein-small molecules interactions
- Be familiar with chromatography techniques, such as affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography
- Carry out analytical biochemistry assays, such as ELISA, Western blots and SDS-Page. The candidate may also be asked at times to support the activities of other teams to ensure the smooth running of the company activities.
- Promote and assist with the day-to-day running of a busy experimental laboratory
- Write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media, including making presentations at conferences or exhibiting work at academic or industry conferences
- Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers
- Mentor and coach colleagues with less experience.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required
- PhD in physical chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution, and/or relevant industry experience
- Experience in characterising proteins, lipids and small molecules using a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques
- Experience with Akta purification systems and protein characterisation using, but not limiting to, optical spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE analysis and western blots
- Expertise in the topic of protein misfolding and aggregation and experience working with amyloid-forming proteins is highly valuable
- Experience in protein aggregation kinetics-based assays and analysis of resulting data is highly valuable
- Experience working in biopharmaceutical drug discovery supporting therapeutic program progression is highly valuable
- Evidence of lab-based leadership with the ability to influence through matrix teams
- Excellent scientific record-keeping, data analysis and interpretation skills
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Ability to understand complex problems and to design and implement novel solutions
- Ability to work both independently and within teams as part of collaborative research projects
- Ability to communicate efficiently with both a technical and a non-technical audience.
What's on Offer
Wren Therapeutics will offer the opportunity to work for a growing and successful business in the Biotech industry, a generous salary, and benefits package. This role may have an opportunity to become permenant at the end of the 12 month fixed-term. If you meet the above criteria and would be interested in working for us, then please apply below.