This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving Cambridge Based SME as a talented Research Assistant or Associate to join its rapidly growing scientific team.
The appointee will assist in running a busy experimental laboratory and will have specific responsibilities related to protein and antibody production, and experimental applications of these molecules. The appointee will conduct research projects related to drug discovery, together with other members of the team, and will contribute to the development and application of new methodologies. The successful candidate will have a desire to play a role in discovering new treatments for debilitating diseases, whilst working in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Assist in maintaining bacterial strains, designing experiments, and carrying out both molecular and biochemical assays.
- Express and purify a number of proteins, peptides and antibody fragments and be familiar with chromatography techniques, such as affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography. Other duties may include, but are not limited to, site-directed mutagenesis or other molecular biology techniques.
- Take an active role in the experimental applications of the purified proteins, for example by characterising structural stability, solubility, and perform QC measurements using a variety of biophysical techniques. The candidate may also be asked at times to support the activities of other teams to ensure the smooth running of the company activities.
- Work on the high throughput expression, purification and biophysical characterisation of antibodies and antibody fragments.
- Work on the discovery and optimisation of antibodies and antibody fragments using display techniques.
- Write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media, including making presentations at conferences or exhibiting work at academic or industry conferences.
- Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers.
- Mentor and coach colleagues with less experience.
- BSc and/or MSc in bioscience, biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution, and/or relevant industry experience is essential.
- Experience in the recombinant expression, purification and characterisation of proteins and peptides using a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques.
- Experience with Akta purification systems and protein characterisation using, but not limited to, optical spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE analysis and western blots.
- Research expertise in the topic of protein misfolding and aggregation and experience working with amyloid-forming proteins is highly desirable.
- Experience in site-directed mutagenesis, molecular cloning, and other related techniques is highly beneficial.
- Experience in antibody production purification and characterisation.
- Experience in antibody optimisation using display techniques such as phage or ribosome display.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand complex problems and to design and implement novel solutions.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of collaborative research projects.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with both a technical and a non-technical audience.
What's on Offer
The opportunity to work for a growing and successful business in the Biotech industry, a generous salary, and benefits package. If you meet the above criteria and would be interested in working for us, then please apply.