This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving Cambridge Based SME as a talented Research Assistant or Associate to join its rapidly growing scientific team.
The appointee will assist in running a busy experimental laboratory and help to perform C. elegans based assays that are associated with pre-clinical candidate selection and validation of new drugs. The candidate is expected to be fully engaged in general laboratory activities, meetings and discussions. The appointee will conduct drug discovery research projects, under the supervision of senior members of the team and will contribute to the development and application of new methodologies. The successful candidate will have a desire to play a role in discovering new treatments for debilitating diseases, whilst working in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Key responsibilities are, but not limited to
- Assist in running a busy experimental laboratory (including the preparation of buffers, reagents and growth/maintenance of different C. elegans transgenic lines)
- Help the program lead keeping a record of experimental work
- Perform a range of worm assays to test toxicity of protein aggregates and the ability of potential inhibitors to reduce such toxicity in worms
- Support the characterisation of new C. elegans transgenic lines, as required
- Improve existing experimental protocols and assays, whilst working with the program lead to develop new ones
- Contribute to data analysis, as required
- Mentor colleagues with less experience
- Support the daily lab maintenance
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, biochemistry, neurobiology/neuroscience, or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution, and/or relevant industry experience in a similar setting
- Relevant work experience in a high-profile industrial setting is a plus
- Knowledge of data analysis software
- Proven skill to work in a fast-paced and highly dynamic environment
- Experience in working with C. elegans transgenic lines related to protein misfolding and aggregation is highly valuable
- Experience in high-throughput toxicity assays for drug screening
- Knowledge of biological safety is valuable
- Experience in assisting to run a busy C. elegans laboratory (i.e. maintenance of strains, preparation of reagents related to C. elegans biology) or similar experience in handling other biological samples.
What's on Offer
Wren Therapeutics will offer the opportunity to work for a growing and successful business in the Biotech industry, a generous salary, and benefits package. If you meet the above criteria and would be interested in working for us, then please apply.