This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving Cambridge Based SME as a talented Research Assistant or Associate to join its rapidly growing scientific team.
The appointee will assist in running a busy experimental laboratory and will have specific responsibility amongst other duties, for the expression, purification and characterisation of a number of misfolding-related proteins and peptides, running chemical kinetics high-throughput screening assays, characterising the binding of hit compounds to their targets and assisting in analysing such data. The appointee will conduct drug discovery research projects, together with other members of the team, and will contribute to the development and application of new methodologies.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Assist in running a busy experimental laboratory, including designing experiments, and carrying-out molecular, biochemical and biophysical assays
- Recombinantly expressing and purifying a number of misfolding-related proteins and peptides. Other duties may include but are not limited to, site-directed mutagenesis or other molecular biology techniques
- Perform a range of experiments that include, but not limited to, molecular biology, robot-assisted automated high-throughput kinetics experiments, western blots and a range of other biophysical techniques
- Use a variety of chromatography techniques (affinity chromatography, Akta purification systems, HPLC) and characterise proteins using optical spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE analysis, mass spectrometry and western blotting
- Take an active role in the experimental design of new methods and may also be asked at times to support the activities of other teams to ensure the smooth running of the company activities
- Write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media, including making presentations at conferences or exhibiting work at academic or industry conferences
- Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers
- Mentor and coach colleagues with less experience.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required
- A Degree in bioscience, biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline at a leading academic institution, and/or relevant industry experience
- Research expertise in the topic of protein misfolding and aggregation. In particular, experience working experimentally with amyloid-forming proteins, automation, or developing assays for HTS of small molecules is highly desirable
- Experience in the recombinant expression of proteins and peptides, using a variety of chromatography techniques (e.g. Akta purification systems, HPLC) and characterisation of their purity using optical spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE analysis and western blotting
- Experience in site-directed mutagenesis, molecular cloning and other related techniques is beneficial.
What's on Offer
The opportunity to work for a growing and successful business in the Biotech industry, a generous salary, and benefits package. If you meet the above criteria and would be interested in working for us, then please apply below.