This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving Cambridge Based SME as a talented Research Assistant or Associate to join its rapidly growing scientific team.
The appointee will assist in running a busy experimental laboratory and will have a specific responsibility in Wren’s screening platform and assays. The appointee will conduct drug discovery research projects, together with other members of the team, and will contribute to the development and application of new methodologies. The successful candidate will have a desire to play a role in discovering new treatments for debilitating diseases, whilst working in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Assist in running a busy experimental laboratory, including maintaining bacterial strains, designing experiments, and carrying-out both molecular and biochemical assays
- Recombinantly expressing and purifying a number of misfolding-related proteins and peptides and antibodies. Other duties may include, but are not limited to, site-directed mutagenesis or other molecular biology techniques
- Take an active role in the experimental applications of the purified proteins, for example by characterising structural stability, solubility, and perform QC measurements using a variety of biophysical techniques. The candidate may also be asked at times to support the activities of other teams (e.g. in vitro aggregation-related experiments) to ensure the smooth running of the company activities.
- Write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media, including making presentations at conferences or exhibiting work at academic or industry conferences.
- Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers.
- Mentor and coach colleagues with less experience.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required
- Degree in bioscience, biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution, and/or relevant industry experience
- Experience in the recombinant expression and purification of antibodies and misfolding-related and amyloid forming proteins and peptides, using a variety of chromatography techniques (e.g. Akta purification systems, HPLC) and characterisation of their purity using, and not limiting to, optical spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE analysis and western blotting.
- Specific research expertise in the topic of protein misfolding and aggregation. In particular, experience working experimentally with antibodies and amyloid-forming proteins is highly desirable
- Experience in site-directed mutagenesis, molecular cloning, and other related techniques is beneficial.
What's on Offer
The opportunity to work for a growing and successful business in the Biotech industry, a generous salary, and benefits package. If you meet the above criteria and would be interested in working for us, then please apply below.